Dec 28, 2008

"Is she always this happy?"

On Friday the 26th, we took Emma to her 15-month appointment. We just looove our pediatrician. Dr. Karen always gives Emma a book after every appointment, and even writes a little message in it at the beginning. This visit, she tried three different books, but Emma already had them all! Finally, Dr. Karen gave us a lift-the-flap book about noses that was a huge hit.

Emma weighed in at 21.63lbs (40%), 30inches(67%)tall and head circumference was 18inches (53%). She's basically tall and skinny with a small-ish size head. I have to laugh at this because in each category, it's the exact opposite of me but it describes Roger to a T! :)

Emma demonstrated some of her 50 baby signs, including pointing to her own body parts as well as those of others. She can even name her shoulders which Dr. Karen found quite impressive. Roger taught her to do a little dance with her shoulders too - the "shimmy". It's pretty cute, I'll have to catch that on film.

At the end of the visit, she had to get two shots, and let me tell you, I can't ever go through that experience without crying myself. I remember thinking when she was a newborn and getting shots, that it would get easier as she got bigger, and not so fragile. Ohhhhh no. It only gets worse - trust me. No matter what I do to distract her, nothing prevents that instant transformation from happy, bubbly, tap-dancing little girl to shrieking, sobbing, pulling at my neck little baby and it breaks my heart every time. Thank goodness our doctor lets us space out the ones we want to give her, and lets us only do 2 at a time. I can't imagine doing 6!!

Luckily for us we haven't had to experience these painful moments any more frequently than our regular well-baby checkups. Dr. Karen also remarked at how incredibly healthy Emma's been. I know I am jinxing myself now, but in 15 months Emma hasn't been sick (a few sniffles here and there...mostly correlated with teething), never had a fever, never been on antibiotics, and never been to the hospital. Yes, I know it will happen but I'm grateful we've gone this long. I've heard several theories about her being so healthy - the breastfeeding, the fresh ocean breezes and sunshine, the organic/hormone free food, growing up with a household pet, the this-that-and-the-other. Whatever it is, I'll take it for as long as I can! :)

After the visit, we did our usual coffee run to watch the sunset. We finished up the weekend up with some shopping and dinner. Everywhere we went, Emma would greet them saying "hi!" and people would respond instantly. "Is she always this happy?" is usually the first question we get. And for the most part, she is. (sure, there are those moments when she refuses to take a nap, and belts out from her room, "maaaammmaaaaa!" or the times she's wrapped around my leg as I'm trying to cook dinner......) But yes, she is a happy, smiley, busy and engaging kid.

While we were shopping, a particular old lady took a liking to her and told me that a happy baby is a very special thing and that the world needs more babies, so we need to have 6 more! Wink wink! I was very flattered and gracious. I'm not sure I could handle that much carpal tunnel, but being a mother is the best decision I ever made, and I'll humbly take what life gives me.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I wanted to let you know that I came across your blog through thenest and have been following ever since. Emma is so adorable and her pictures are full of personality and I love your artistic style in your pictures.

    I have a baby girl , her name is Emma too and will be turning one soon! I have a private blog - tirEmmasu. If you would like to follow, let me know and I can send you invitation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'd love to read your blog, but I don't have your contact info to get invited...there's nothing listed anywhere :(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...