Oct 4, 2011

decisions, decisions

Holiday-card-decision-time is one of my favorite struggles of the year.  I LOVE a great holiday card.  I have a little collection that I've saved in a box of my favorites over the years.  I love peeking at them from time to time.  Because communication is so electronic these days, it seems that holiday cards are the last remaining pure experience of postal mail.  From beginning to end, it's an experience. It hits your senses.  It's visceral. 

You get the card in the mail (what a surprise!), you read the name (it's for you! how is your name written? who is it from?), you feel the envelope in your hands (is it heavy? soft? textured? thick? large?), you notice the stamp and maybe the date or the mailing location, you open the envelope (are you a purist and go from the top? or practical and open from the side?), you read the card, touch the paper, open it or turn it over, you experience the sentiments and you (if you're like me) probably hang it somewhere for others to see.  Like I said, from beginning to end, it's an experience.  And.....if you're like me.....you appreciate the little details like great photos (natch), an interesting paper texture, a 3D design, amazing handwriting, a special pen used or even a whimsical stamp. I cherish them as little works of art.

Because of this special process, I love making ours as unique and as visceral as I can.  It may be lost on some people, but that's ok.  I do it because *I* enjoy it.  I know most people like pictures, especially with little ones who grow leaps and bounds every year.  It's fun to try and incorporate a little bit of a story of what we've done that year. If anything, I can put these in her baby book.   Generally speaking, I always lean towards more contemporary designs, but I still love a good vintage feel to the photos.  I'm such a walking contradiction.  :)

So help me decide....what do you think?

Ornament cards?


simple but high impact?


holiday newsletter?



vintage spread 1?


vintage spread 2?


PS - Any blogger users notice the GREAT changes they've made to the formatting of posts?  Hooorray! I can finally post images in the order and size I want, rather than having to cut & paste all the time.  It was about time, folks.  :)

4 comments:

  1. i vote for ornaments or vintage 1... BUT, i'll be gleeful regardless of what you choose, as long as it's from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the vote my sweet! you know you're at the top of my list. :) XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the newsletter one looks cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhh. I like them all too, especially as I start to think about our holiday cards this year which I am determined to get out (no car accident, falling trees, leaking pools, rats/possums in the walls can stop me this year!).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...